Our teeth are important to us throughout our lives. Not only for eating, biting, chewing; but for our self-esteem, speech, and confidence. For many people, taking care of their teeth is important. As they age, and can no longer care for themselves, their dental care often becomes neglected. Mobile Dental Hygiene Cleanings can be essential for elderly citizens in nursing homes.
Mobile Dental Hygiene Cleanings For Seniors
The American Dental Association reported in 2015 that there were 1.4 million senior citizens living in nursing homes in The United States. That number is expected to double in the next 50 years. Senior citizens often have special dental needs that cannot be addressed by their nursing staff. Some senior citizens cannot care for themselves and their oral health care may not be adequate. Many seniors are in nursing homes or rehabilitation centers. They cannot drive or may be homebound with medical equipment.
This vulnerable population can be helped through mobile dental hygiene cleanings through mobile dentists. This program brings the dentist to the patient’s door. Seniors can still receive proper dental care and receive their biannual mobile dental hygiene cleanings.
What is Mobile Dental Hygiene Cleanings
Mobile dental hygiene cleanings are just like the dental cleanings you receive at the dentist office, just in your home instead! Many people can’t make it to the dentist for a lot of different reasons. Mobile dental hygiene cleanings allow dental patients to still receive proper oral health care no matter their ability.
A dental hygiene cleaning removes plaque and tartar from the surface of a patient’s teeth. Teeth are also flossed and polished. Some patients may receive fluoride treatments.
What Can Mobile Dental Hygiene Cleanings Do For You?
Mobile dental hygiene cleanings are important to your oral health for many reasons.
- Cavity Prevention- Plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay. The white substance that builds up on your teeth is removed during mobile dental hygiene cleanings. Plaque eats through tooth enamel and can lead to cavities. Keeping up oral hygiene with twice daily brushing and flossing can prevent plaque buildup.
- Prevent Gum Disease- During mobile dental hygiene cleanings, your dentist will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums. If you are showing signs of gum disease early treatment can prevent the disease from progressing and causing major problems. Plaque also causes gum disease when the buildup is not taken care of and extends below the gum line.
- Prevent Tooth Loss- If gum disease and tooth decay are not treated, patients will experience tooth loss. The jaw bone can also be affected and the shape of your face can change if missing teeth are left untreated. By having your regular mobile dental hygiene cleanings, you can prevent these things from ever starting.
- Brighten Smile- People who have stains on their teeth notice a difference after their mobile dental hygiene cleanings. Stains that are on plaque and tartar that dull teeth can be removed with cleanings. Teeth are also polished during mobile dental hygiene cleanings. Whiter and brighter smiles are the result of this process.
- Stop Bad Breath- Halitosis is a result of gum disease and poor oral health. People that have many cavities may also have bad breath. Mobile dental hygiene cleanings prevent gum disease, treat decayed teeth, remove bacteria, and leave your breath fresh.
Other Mobile Dental Services
Mobile dental hygiene cleanings are not the only services that mobile dentists offer. While every practice can differ, Brown Mobile Dental in Fort Worth Texas offers these:
- Simple Extractions
- Surgical Extractions
- Deep Cleanings/Root Planing Scaling/Periodontal Therapy
If you are not sure whether the dental treatment you need can be provided by a mobile dentist contact the office to find out. Mobile dental services are usually available to nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, assisted living communities, and more. These places will set up group dental appointments for residents. However, mobile dentists are also available for individual appointments or emergency appointments.
Some mobile dental providers offer private, in-home dental services for children with disabilities, people with severe dental phobia or agoraphobia, and other disabilities or impairments. Mobile dental hygiene cleanings are not just for senior citizens. Many people of all ages are homebound or need rehabilitation centers. Rehab is common after suffering from major car accidents or other trauma. Brown Mobile Dental Care Fort Worth offers dental care brought to your door.
If you are a staff member of a facility or family member of someone in a facility and would like to schedule appointments for mobile dental hygiene cleanings, call Brown Mobile Dental at 817-335-5555 or contact us here.